Canadian delegation to Haiti reports back
August 4, 2011--Three Canadians conducted a ten-day fact-finding and solidarity mission to Haiti from June 20 to 30. The delegation, organized by Haiti Solidarity BC, the Vancouver affiliate of the Canada Haiti Action Network, traveled throughout the earthquake zone, including Port-au-Prince, Leogane and Jacmel.
We visited neighbourhoods, camps of displaced people, medical centers, and human rights and social organizations there to gain an overview of the most pressing needs in Haiti. During some of our visits and interviews, we were joined by other Canadians working on aid projects.
We witnessed the dedication and hard work of the Haitian people and authorities and international agencies and volunteers, notwithstanding the immense scale of the recovery that is required and the shortages of resources. But we also witnessed incredible suffering and hardship of poor and displaced Haitians. Many Haitians and Haitian civil society organizations are seriously questioning the shortcomings or failings of the relief and reconstruction effort.
We have written a 17-page report of our visits and observations, including recommendations. We hope that our findings will convince Canadians, their government and their aid agencies to provide ongoing and substantial assistance to the Haitian people, and, additionally, to reflect on what can be improved going forward.
- Roger Annis (Vancouver BC), retired aerospace worker and coordinator of Haiti Solidarity BC and the Canada Haiti Action Network
- Sandra Gessler (Winnipeg MB), Professor of Nursing, University of Manitoba
- Rosena Joseph (Toronto ON), learning coach and member of Local 3393 of the Canadian Union of Public Employees
* The full report of the Canadian Delegation to Haiti is attached as a pdf to this page.
* The delegation will report on its visit to Haiti at public meetings across Canada in the weeks to come. The first of those meetings will take place in Vancouver BC on Wednesday, August 17, 7 pm, at 1 Kingsway Ave. To see details on this and coming events, see here: http://canadahaitiaction.ca/events