Yemeni children starve to death as American & Canadian backed Saudi blockade devastates the population

The following five articles report on the famine in Yemen. The United-States and Canada continue to support  Saudi-backed genocidal war. 

- CHIP editors

 

'Disgrace on humanity': UN urges Yemen aid to continue amid famine

By Paul workman & Brooklyn Neustaeter, CTV News, March 13, 2021

The United Nations has issued a new warning about starvation in Yemen, calling it one of the worst famines the world has seen where the level of suffering is so staggering the head of the World Food Program (WFP) says it is a "disgrace on humanity."

WFP Executive Director David Beasley recently visited Yemen and said he was horrified by what he saw.

"I'm standing here in this hospital room where this child, literally, is on the verge of death. In fact, 400,000 children are at risk of dying right now," Beasley told reporters on Wednesday.

"It's a horrible situation. It's a disgrace on humanity what’s happening here," he added.

Read the complete report

 

“Hell on Earth”: Yemeni Children Starve to Death as U.S.-Backed Saudi Blockade Devastates Nation

By Democracy Now, March 12, 2021

The World Food Programme is warning Yemen is headed toward the biggest famine in modern history, with the U.N. agency projecting around 400,000 Yemeni children under the age of 5 could die from acute malnutrition this year as the Saudi war and blockade continues. 

CNN senior international correspondent Nima Elbagir says Yemen is accurately described as “hell on Earth.” Her latest report from inside Yemen details the devastating impact of the conflict on civilians, including widespread fuel shortages affecting all aspects of life. “We were utterly unprepared for what we found when we got there,” says Elbagir.

Watch the report

 

Canada 'helped to perpetuate' atrocities of Yemen war, says new UN report

By Saada Patel, The Canada Files, Sept. 18, 2021

Canada’s most widely known involvement in the Yemen war is its $15 billion arms deal with Saudi Arabia.

The deal was first initiated by the Conservative government in 2014, but sales have increased under Trudeau’s Liberals. The main part of the deal was the shipment of Light Armoured Vehicles (LAVs) supplied by General Dynamics Land Systems Canada (GDLS-C).

It’s the largest arms trade in Canadian history.

Read the complete report

 

Canada is fueling war in Yemen with arms sales, UN report says

By Steven Chase, The Globe & Mail, Sept. 9, 2021

In a report for the period ending in June, 2020, the panel included Canada on a list of countries selling arms to those waging the conflict in Yemen: a coalition led by Saudi Arabia, and Houthi rebels backed by Iran.

The countries identified in the report, which also include the United States, Britain and France, “continued their support of parties to the conflict including through arms transfers, thereby helping to perpetuate the conflict," the report said. It was the third report issued so far by the UN Human Rights Council’s panel on Yemen.

Read the complete report

 

Canada re-embraces Saudi monarchy by lifting freeze on arms exports

By Yves Engler, Canadian Dimension, April 11, 2021

After Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman ordered the killing and dismemberment of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October of 2018, Trudeau treaded carefully regarding the murder. Ten days later, the Canadian Press reported that “the prime minister said only that Canada has ‘serious issues’ with reports the Washington Post columnist was killed by Saudi Arabian operatives inside Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Turkey.” Six weeks later the Liberals sanctioned 17 Saudi nationals over the issue, but none of them were in positions of significant authority.

Elsewhere, Freeland looked the other way when Saudi student Mohammed Zuraibi Alzoabi fled Canada last year—presumably with help from the embassy—to avoid sexual assault charges in Cape Breton. While Freeland told reporters that Global Affairs was investigating the matter, Halifax Chronicle Herald journalist Aaron Beswick’s access to information request suggested the federal government did not even bother to contact the Saudi embassy concerning the matter.

In April of last year, the Saudis beheaded 37 mostly minority Shiites. Ottawa waited 48 hours (after many other countries criticized the mass execution) to release a “muted” statement. What’s more, the Trudeau government stayed mum on the Saudi’s effort to derail pro-democracy demonstrations in Sudan and Algeria in 2018/19, and failed to release a critical statement condemning Riyadh’s support for Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar’s bid to seize Tripoli by force.

Read the complete report

 

Posted March 17, 2021