By Campbell Clark, Globe and Mail, Sat January 7, 2011
(And, see letter to article author below)
(And, see letter to article author below)
Two years after Haiti was devastated by an earthquake, Minister of International Co-operation Bev Oda will travel Monday to see a country with less rubble but little reconstruction.
The 2010 earthquake devastated the Caribbean nation, killing 300,000, destroying tens of thousands of buildings, and displacing 1.5 million from their homes. Nations that proudly pledged to rebuild troubled Haiti in 2010, Canada among the loudest, have seen much slower progress than they’d hoped, and half a million Haitians remain in tent camps.
“Are we satisfied with the progress? Probably not as much as our expectations led us to hope for,” Ms. Oda said in an interview. “I think the hopes were really very high and the intentions were really all the right intentions. But you have to always remember what Haiti was before the earthquake.”
There has been progress since the first anniversary of the quake, and there is perhaps less of a sense of failed hope. Half of the ubiquitous rubble that jammed streets and obstructed buildings and houses has now been cleared, where only 10 per cent had been cleared a year ago.
But though there are fewer people in tent camps, the flow of people to real homes appears to have slowed. Part of the problem, Ms. Oda said, is that for some who are left, leaving the camps means relocating where they won’t have access to services provided by aid agencies, such as medicine, education and food.
Canada, Ms. Oda said, wants to place a priority on getting people out of the tents. “That’s going to take two to three years,” she said.
Canada will focus a part of its aid efforts on maternal and child health, through existing health-care facilities, including a hospital near a major tent camp where Canada funds free pre- and post-natal care, and deliveries. It is also funding education and, in a country with a devastated economy, will try to help rebuild agriculture.
“Haiti is a long-term commitment. But we’re committed,” Ms. Oda said. She said she is excited about visiting now. Reconstruction was set back by cholera, then political turmoil from a stolen election, and after Michel Martelly won the presidency, stalemate over forming a new government.
When she last visited in mid-2011, a prime minister had been named but not a cabinet. It took months, but a new government is in place. The interim reconstruction commission, headed by former U.S. president Bill Clinton and former Haitian PM Max Bellerive, has been replaced with a Haitian reconstruction minister. That at least holds the potential for aid that helps build the capacity of Haiti’s ministers and ministries, she said.
Whether that happens is a key question that lingers over Haiti’s future. Haiti’s political system has been marked by deep corruption, rivalries and coups, and a lack of public-sector expertise even before the country’s civil service was wiped out by the quake.
Opponents of Mr. Martelly, the former pop star, complain bitterly about his conduct, but Ms. Oda said progress was made in Haiti under the former president, too, and though the inexperienced Mr. Martelly has had missteps, there is reason to hope for progress now.
‘The political fragility of the country is a reality we have to understand,” she said. “In my assessment, he’s making more positive steps than negative steps. And he’s got a very good relationship with Canada, our [embassy], and our ambassador.”
Letter to Globe and Mail's Campbell Clark
Vancouver BC
Jan 7, 2012
Hello Mr. Clark,
Thank you for your informative article in today's Globe and Mail.
For the past two years, we have been very much hoping that the Globe would develop a more critical capacity in its publishing on Haiti. That's not a criticism of you or any other writer, it's a criticism of how much space and research time that the paper apparently allows on the subject of Haiti. The op-ed page, for example, has visibly been closed to critical commentary by seasoned Haiti advocates.
We are sending background information to journalists in Canada in conjunction with the two-year anniversary of the earthquake. Let us know if you would like to receive the several dossiers we have compiled. Much of the material in question is posted on our website www.canadahaitiaction.ca and is posted regularly to our mail list.
Note in our "Letters to election officials" feature on the website the recent letter by Minister of Foreign Affairs John Baird to the fact-finding delegation to Haiti that we helped to initiate. The letter is in reply to the report written by the delegation of its findings and published on August 4, 2011. We will be writing a reply to Minister Baird. In a nutshell, we note that his positive presentation of Haiti (and that of Minister Oda cited in your article) is somewhat belied by his year-end interview with La Presse in which he says Canada is "Not at all happy" with the performance of the Martelly government. (See my article on this subject on our news page.)
Note further in this regard our website front page news story of the deepening troubles of the Martelly-led government in Haiti. There is an emerging possibility that the government could fall due to the mounting concern over the greed and corruption of Martelly and his family and entourage as well as the soon-to-reemerge issue of the citizenships of both Martelly and Prime Minister Conille... The Haitian constitution is crystal clear: the citizen of a foreign land is not entitled to run for public office.
President Martelly, you will recall, is the product of an electoral process that was entirely financed by the U.S., Canada and Europe and whose first round was described by CBC and other reporters on the spot as a "fraud" and a "complete sham." Less than 25% of Haitians voted. Martelly was the third place finisher in the first round of voting but acceded to the second round when the OAS and U.S. threatened to cut off aid to Haiti if the second place finisher was not booted out of the exercise by the appointed and unconstitutional Electoral Commission of the time (he was). Latest news has Mr. Martelly giving the boot to that 'provisional' unconstitutional electoral commission and appointing a new, equally unconstitutional, 'provisional' electoral commission of his own.
Best wishes,
Roger Annis
Canada Haiti Action Network
778 858 5179


