Political parties and civil society groups who signed the "Kingston joint-declaration" ready to continue dialogue in Port-au-Prince

By Daniel Zéphyr, Gazette Haiti, June 30, 2023

CHIP editor's note: A copy of the Kingston Joint-Declaration was posted to Twitter by Steven Benoit and can be viewed here.

Speaking on Thursday June 29, 2023 on the program Le Rendez-vous avec Volcy Assad, UNIR's leader Clarens Renois, said the signatiores of the Kingston Joint-Declaration are committed to continuing dialogue in Port au Prince.

Renois initiated the move to draft the joint declaration. According to Renois, the signatories have not changed their stance.

Since the failure in Kingston to develop a new Accord, Ariel Henry's de facto government has set its sights on other projects, such as the establishment of the Provisional Electoral Council, and the amending the constitution. 

Since then the signatories of the Kingston Joint-Declaration have kept a low profile. "The group still exists. It was not founded with the aim of seizing power, but to correct a situation. We continue to meet. We are concerned with finding a way out of the crisis," Renois explained.

These structures, including Fanmi Lavalas, Montana, UNIR, EDE, Force Louverturienne Réformiste, En Avant, PHTK, OPL, Nou Pap Domi, Collectif des Partis Politiques du 30 Janvier and MOPOD, proposed a 4-point form of governance. They advocated a bicameral executive made up of a Presidential College and a Government of National Unity headed by a Prime Minister, with a view to restoring executive power. The document does not mention the name of Dr. Ariel Henry.

According to the signatories, this transitional government will have to create the necessary conditions to inspire confidence in the population; establish a climate of security conducive to the resumption of economic activities, hold credible and inclusive elections, and meet the priorities defined in a roadmap serving as terms of reference for the transition. In addition, the signatories proposed the creation of a Monitoring Committee that will include CARICOM representatives.  

These proposals were rejected out of hand by the Prime Minister and his December 21 allies. They are in favor of a unicameral executive with Prime Minister Ariel Henry supported by an inclusive government of national unity.  


Ready to continue the dialogue

Despite the failure in Jamaica, the signatories of the Kingston Joint-Declaration hope to reach a consensus capable of paving the way for a thaw in the crisis. "The group is still there. We are working together. We are constantly meeting to fine-tune our position with a view to the 2nd round of CARICOM negotiations", reports Clarens Renois.

According to Renois, the signatories have written to CARICOM advising that they are ready to continue the dialogue in Port-au-Prince in line with the commitments made in Kingston. "We've also told them that we'd like them to start communicating with us," he says.

The group's silence since publishing the Joint-Declaration raises doubts whether consensus remains intact. Clarens Renois explained: "I can say that in idea and spirit, it remains as before. However, some people are firmer in their positions than others." 

After the failure of the June 11-13 conference in Kingston, CARICOM had promised to return to Port-au-Prince to meet with players who were unable to make the trip. Weeks later, there has been no communication about this mission.

 

Translated & edited for clarity by CHIP editors

 

Posted July 17, 2023