Aristide Allies reject corruption charges against former Haitian leader (two articles)

Aristide Returns! 3.jpg

Aristide Allies reject corruption charges against former Haitian leader 

By Joseph Guyler Delva, Haitian-Carribbean News Network, August 14, 2014 

Leaders of former Haitian president Jean-Bertrand Aristide rejected on Thursday alleged acts of corruption blamed on Aristide and several dozen of his former allies between 2001 and 2004, when he occupied the Caribbean country's top political office. 

A spokesman for Aristide's Lavalas Family party, Ansyto Felix, said efforts to prosecute the former leader are part of a plan by the current administration to persecute political opponents, on the eve of crucial elections and in the face of popular discontent as to the failure of current leaders to deliver for the population. 

continue to full article 

Authorities: Haitian fugitive Clifford Brandt captured along Haiti-DR border 

By Jacqueline Charles, Miami Herald, August 12, 2014

Mario Joseph, Aristide’s Haiti lawyer, denied that the former president was served. And both he and Aristide’s U.S. lawyer Ira Kurzban said no formal notice of a travel ban had been imposed. The ramblings, they said, are politically motivated. “It is solely motivated by the upcoming potential elections in Haiti and, like all other allegations against President Aristide, has no basis in fact or reality,?” Kurzban said. 

Joseph said the reports are aimed at distracting the public from Brandt’s “organized” release from jail. 
“President Aristide has not received any mandate,” Joseph said. “After Brandt’s planned freedom from prison, they are looking for anything that makes noise and distracts people from the real issues.”

continue to full article