Chief Inspector Arrested for Selling Bullets to Civilians

Chief Inspector of Police, Japheth Koome. PHOTO/NPS© Provided by The Kenya Times

By Kenyan Times, April 29, 2024

National Police Service (NPS) has announced the arrest of two of its officers for their involvement in the illegal sale of ammunition to criminals.

The police officers involved are Chief Inspector Joel Warui Githaiga and Police Constable Martin Murimi from Anti-Stock Theft Unit in Sondu Camp.

This development comes in the wake of the recovery of 2,658 rounds of ammunition in Laikipia County earlier this week, an incident that initially led to the arrest of Josphat Karanja and his wife Teresiah Wairimu.

The suspects were brought before the court on April 22, where a Miscellaneous Application seeking custody for a period of four days was granted.

As such, they are set to appear before the Kibera Law Court on Friday, April 26, 2024, to face charges related to their illicit activities.

“All the four suspects will now appear before Kibera Law Court on Friday April 26, 2024,” read NPS statement in part.

In response to these developments, the National Police Service (NPS) has taken action by suspending both officers from duty pending further investigations.

Inspector General Japhet Koome, in a statement addressing the matter, further stressed the importance of public cooperation in combating such criminal activities.

He urged citizens to report any suspicious behavior promptly.

“The Service would like to caution members of public from engaging in unauthorized purchase, possession, manufacture and sale of firearms and ammunition and instead report any such criminal activities to the nearest police station or through our toll-free numbers; 999,911,112 or Fichua kwa DCI 0800722203,” said IG Koome.

The Inspector General also reiterated the Service’s dedication to rooting out corruption and maintaining public trust.

“In addition, we wish to assure the public that stern action will be taken against any Officer involved in such unethical conduct regardless of rank,”

“The National Police Service reiterates its commitment to strive for the highest standard of professionalism,” he said.

 

Presidents Directive

Consequently, President William Ruto issued a directive on September 25, instructing security agencies to take decisive action against criminal perpetrators.

“I have instructed security agencies to deal firmly, decisively and conclusively with those involved,” stated President Ruto.

 

Posted May 5, 2024